[uf-discuss] Dated currency examples?

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Sun Sep 24 19:25:47 PDT 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 7:29 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> In message <C13C4877.7BB2E%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
> <tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes
>
>> date
>
> How about this as a model:
>
>         "date" is an optional component of the "currency" microformat.
>
>         When date is present, parsers may disregard it.
>
>         When parsers understand date, and none is present, they may
>         infer the date from any containing element (e.g. review, hAtom
>         entry, hResume-hCalendar, etc.)
> ?

the problem I see with logic like the above is the one that comes up
semi-frequently when trying to address issues like this -- that a
parser for X must then understand all other current (and future)
microformats in order to extract the proper meaning from the markup.
If you have a parser that understands hatom and hcalendar and then
hreview comes along it presents the case of ether (a) the parser not
extracting the meaning because it doesn't yet support the newer
format or (b) the page changing "meaning" to the outside world as
parsers get upgraded to see the new context.

I would also worry about being too ambitious with applying context
clues (e.g. a blog post stating "i remember buying a comic book for
10¢" and then applying the post date to the value) but that may be
more of an authoring issue that could be worked through with more
discussion then my first concern.

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]