[uf-discuss] XOXO-2-OPML LazyWeb Request

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 06:14:30 PDT 2006

As most folks have some sort of Blogroll (hopefully marked-up with XFN
and XOXO[1]). I have begun to look into easily converting those into
OPML. I've only worked with OPML for a day now and it has left a sour
taste in my mouth!!! So i never want to write OPML again, instead i
want to write happy XOXO and build (if needed) OPML from that.

I went and started in on an XSLT and web service[3] to convert any
HTML page with XOXO into OPML. It isn't perfect, and makes use of the
"Special Properties" section[2] of the XOXO spec - so if you find
issues/errors/problems/ideas let me know.

I have tested it on my own site*, but now i envoke the Power of Lazy Web!

I am looking for Folks to do two things:
1) run their XOXO files through the web sevice and see if they get the
expected OPML back
1a) which blog platform are you using (if any)
2) document which NewsReaders/OS correctly consume the OPML.
2a) does the RSS reader do 'auto-discovery'? meaning if i send it a
link to the blog homepage, does it extract the RSS correctly from the
HTML link?

I have started a wiki page with a simple structure to let others add
their information too[4].

Thanks,
-brian

[1] - http://microformats.org/wiki/xoxo
[2] - http://microformats.org/wiki/xoxo#Special_Properties
[3] - http://suda.co.uk/projects/microformats/xoxo/
[4] - http://microformats.org/wiki/xoxo-opml-issues

* - i am aware that not everything in my XOXO list is a feed - some
NewsReaders Ignore them, some try to fetch something and just fail.

--
brian suda
http://suda.co.uk