[uf-discuss] Use of <abbr> (also <object>) and Accessibility

Simone Onofri simone.onofri at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 07:36:35 PDT 2006

> > In current Safari, <object data="20050125">January 25</object> works
> > just fine as expected.
>
> Yes, but <abbr> just makes more sense
>
> 1) because it's a better match to what the XHTML actually means
> 2) because abbr data is visible to users without viewing the code,
> <object> is not (usually)

Hi, so the semantic web and W3C reccomends the use of markups in the
right way that markup as created.

So the markup <abbr> as for "abbreviation" it match for the date in this way:

<abbr title="January">Jan</abbr>

In this example I used abbr to indicate an abbreviated form of
January. Right way also for weeksday names like Mon (Monday) and
others...

Other specific accessibility markup is <acronym> for the use with
acronym right. Example:

<acronym title="National Aeronautics and Space Administration">NASA</acronym>

In this way, <object> is used in order to include multimedia or other
generic object.

So, I'm sorry but have just joined in this list. What is the problem with data?

Regards,

Simone