[uf-discuss] [citation]: Brian's outstanding issues 3: nesting

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus.lists at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 16:55:51 PDT 2006

First, a URL for the wiki page you are referring to would be helpful ;-)

On 9/25/06, Michael McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> wrote:

> option 1: requires class names for every reference type. I don't like
> this option either.
>
> option 2: uses type class, but makes it confusing IMO - what if you
> want to include more data about the containing reference than just one
> element? Does the type continue to influence sibling elements until
> another type element cancels it out?

Can't comment on the above since I don't know the context.

> I have another option that might work:
>
> option 3: nest ufs. I've used this a few times in examples without
> anyone commenting on it. Is this OK? What are the pros/cons? I have
> parsed HTML using a DOM traversal before, and this seems like it'd be
> reasonably easy to parse. It's also a little easier to write and more
> obvious than #2, IMO, since it's clear that the elements under the
> container span are all referring to the item that's of type book...

I thnk that's fine, notwithstanding my other quetion about the "type"
span (which seems even more funky in this case). Also, "citation"
could probably be "hcite"?

Bruce