[uf-discuss] Microformat's Logos

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Tue Sep 26 05:37:50 PDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 5:13 AM, Simone Onofri wrote:

> 2006/9/26, Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk>:
>>

> Hi,
>
> In a brand policy for it affermation on the community is a good way
> use a single logo to diffuse it, also more logos may create confusion.
> In this way people teach the new logo on hearts. For more logo or
> products we can adopt more solution.
>
> For example the use of various formats logo like this - most used -
> 8x15 pixel logo.
> http://www.societaconoscenza.rai.it/images/w3c/valid-xhtml.png
> http://www.societaconoscenza.rai.it/images/w3c/valid-css.png
> http://www.societaconoscenza.rai.it/images/w3c/wcag1-AAA.png
>
> On the left we can insert the Mf logo and on the right, with a pixel
> font, with hCalendar, hCards.... So, I can create it. What formats do
> You want?

But how many of those will appear on a page? And where? And for what
formats would you use them? I can easily see a page on a blog
supporting: hatom, rel-tag, geo, adr, hreview, hcard, hcalendar,
xoxo, xfn, tagcloud.... though some people seem to love icons on
their pages, seems to me to be a bit on the extreme side.

I think the more important logo usage, for the time being, is not to
show that there is an event/hcalendar item somewhere in the document
(maybe, if the logo wasn't just put in the template) but as a means
of highlighting specific elements in a page as a way of letting users
know "this thing right here, there's something extra going on"

Sure, something like this review - http://placenamehere.com/article/
241/TufteAtTheManhattanCenter - could use more instruction for the
unchristened (it was just a stab) but it does its job of highlighting
the content even if a user doesn't understand what the logo is -- and
maybe that's a fine place to stop for some -- not every page on the
internet has to explain every mechanic of the internet.

In any case, I think a slightly OT to this thread, but more
interesting case to be solved is how best to author client side
overlays so that they are as "safe" as possible on the largest number
of sites. There's been a few recent developments in this area which I
think are worth looking at if you haven't yet...

http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/journal/more-microformats-highlighting
http://leftlogic.com/info/articles/microformats_bookmarklet

--
[ Chris Casciano ]