[uf-discuss] Employee number

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Sep 26 09:10:20 PDT 2006

On Sep 25, 2006, at 12:33 PM, Paul Denning wrote:

> At 04:29 PM 2006-09-19, Ryan King wrote:
>>> Sounds like a use case for URIs [1]
>
> Life would be better if URI's were used in more places.
> I do not want to invent a new URI Scheme (bad idea per W3C TAG [1]).
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/roao2
>
>>> and/or UIDs [2].
>>
>> It also sounds like a very specific use case.
>
> I disagree.  Employee numbers are used by many many companies.  I
> am talking about standardizing (in the microformats sense) how HTML
> is marked up to indicate that a string on the page is an employee
> number.
>
> What I do with that string is a specific use case, perhaps.
>
> Employee numbers are "for a specific problem domain" as stated in
> the definition of microformats. [0]
>
> Maybe if there was a standard way to find the employee number, some
> generic tools would be developed to do things that use the employee
> number.

I completely agree that if we had a standard way to mark up employee
numbers, companies (enterprises, even) could build nice, loosely
coupled tools.

However, that doesn't get around the point that microformats are
build around existing practices. I was just asking you to build some
existing practice of your own first.

-ryan