[uf-discuss] Tentative proposal for "What's New" listings

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Tue Sep 26 13:23:36 PDT 2006

In message
<6991f8e00609261306j550d40ecta5ca1009e5f36fe6 at mail.gmail.com>, Stephen
Paul Weber <singpolyma at gmail.com> writes

>> >The converter currently blindly uses the permalink value as GUID, if
>> >you use the same permalink twice in your hAtom you get this error.
>>
>> Is that wise? Using the same link twice is allowed, isn't it?
>
>This is a converter, not a standardiser.  It assumes that your hAtom
>is equivalent to legal RSS.  my stdRSS tool (on the same site) DOES
>generate GUIDs, I just never bothered with it in the converter.  Since
>you seem interested, however, I will definately look into copying over
>some of that code :)

Thank you.

>> >The title is drawn directly from entry-title.  This is not actually
>> >invalid RSS, it's just something they don't reccomend, but if you want
>> >it changed, change your hAtom.
>>
>> By "change my hAtom", what do you mean? Surely you're not suggesting I
>> replace my escaped ampersands, with invalid ampersand characters?
>>
>> Since there will be other people who use escaped entities, wouldn't it
>> be better for you, to deal with them by "unescaping" them?
>
>I am suggesting that since XHTML is disreccomended in RSS <title> AND
>in ATOM title tags that it may not be wise to have it in the
>entry-title (ie, using the " character

What character?

>there instead of &quot; would
>be perfectly legal and solve the problem, the escaped ampersand is my
>code escaping out your HTML entities, which the validator then finds
>bad because there should be no enitities in a <title>).

it seems reasonable to me that, if the HTML in question contains "&"
then the corresponding title component of the feed should contain
"&amp;". Why is that not the case?

>> If you see "../biblio/BirdLife/1983-0506-42.htm" on a page on the web,
>> it can have only one meaning, in the context in which you're seeing, it.
>
>Hmm... you may have convinced me, although I'm not sure how to go
>about this.  So far the converter has been assuming that the hAtom was
>structured according to feed design rules (ie, only use absolute
>URLs), because that's what I do.

But it's not a requirement of hAtom, is it?

>I should probably look at adding
>some code to detect <a> tags with relative URLs though...

Thank you again.

>> Nonetheless, Sage is now showing some very odd results (do you see that,
>> or shall I "flickr" a screenshot?)
>
>screenshot, I don't have Sage installed anymore, haven't for awhile

Thanks, but one of your other fixes seems to have resolved that ;-)

--
Andy Mabbett
                Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>

                Free Our Data:  <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk>