[uf-discuss] Microformats in Form Fields

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Thu Sep 28 08:52:47 PDT 2006

> What if I was to mark up the form (and fields) with hCard classes?
> Good idea? Bad idea? I strikes me that it could be useful for auto-
> complete applications, but not sure if it would ‘pollute’ the web
> with effectively a useless/empty hCard when the form is published.

Wouldn't a solution to this be not to wrap the form fields in a
*.vcard block?
The information would then never actually generate a vcard using a
parser, and
a blank form is not technically a vcard in HTML.

Alternately, you could use @name to supply your semantics instead of
@class.
The server-side parser would need its internal data names
standardized on hCard
(not a bad idea, IMHO).

My browser, OmniWeb, allows you to define synonyms for your Address Book
data, such that you could define 'family-name' as a synonym for
'Last'. I can
already take advantage of forms where @name is marked up with hCard
classes.

--