[uf-discuss] hidden microformats

Paolo Negri hungrylist at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 10:19:47 PDT 2006

Hi all

Sorry for late reply

I can just tell how I sorted out my stuff. For the tricky structure of
the divs I've just reviewed with the smallest possibile set of change
the structure of the page to have the content to build the uformat
included in a div which is really semantic now.
I wasted some hours doing this but now I can sleep at night.

I decided to provide uformats just where the most complete infos are
available. It makes sense for the user to expect complete infos where
they actually are.
My idea is "uformats will probably be where you would look to take
physical notes" Now you'll say that I can't tell where the users would
look, and this is a good point...

I won't provide partial uformats because I'm afraid of that the user
can be confused by different versions of the data for the same
event/person. I agree on that even a partial information is semantic,
but since now the usage of uformats is more like a
transformation/download of vcards/icalendar (and my application is
likely to encourage this type of usage) than an highlighting of the
semantic of the page, I just want to provide one version of these
objects.
I'll be happy to change this approach when I'll see more clearly how
uformats are going to be used and how the users will be helped by
browsers/apps in using them. I'll just keep an eye to have a sort of
uformats aware page design, just to be ready, even if I have to say,
excluded 2 tricky cases adding microformats to my content was pretty
natural.
I don't think I'm going to add link to uformats because I like the
idea to have them as a rich collateral presence of data on the page
more than a sort of resource that need to be pointed. Obviously this
is just my opinion and is related to this specific application
perspective.

Well, and in the end I have to thank you all for this really
interesting discussion.

Paolo