[uf-discuss] Geo deployed on Wikipedia.

Costello, Roger L. costello at mitre.org
Mon Apr 2 06:30:02 PDT 2007

This is awesome Andy!

Great work!

/Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: microformats-discuss-bounces at microformats.org
[mailto:microformats-discuss-bounces at microformats.org] On Behalf Of
Andy Mabbett
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 9:15 AM
To: Microformats Discuss
Subject: Re: [uf-discuss] Geo deployed on Wikipedia.

In message <DrdaDHpcsODGFwYf at pigsonthewing.org.uk>, Andy Mabbett
<andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> writes

>I've just added:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template%3AGeoTemplate&diff=
119003866&oldid=118216477>

>Geo to Wikipedia's GeoTemplate:

>Work to add Geo to the individual articles is ongoing.

The later is now done - every singe Wikipedia article which publishes
coordinates (and that includes, cities, neighbourhoods, transport
stations, hotels, hospitals, mountains, museums, etc. etc.) using a
template (and there are many thousands) now includes Geo ;-)

Templates which use titles in the coordinate template will be attended
to shortly.

I'm indebted to Wikipedia user "Quarl" for working with me on the
implementation.

Examples (showing a variety of formats and uses):

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Barr>

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamstead_railway_station>

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belfast>

In a related project, I and others are working to add coordinates to
all
the articles, about places, which don't yet have them.

--
Andy Mabbett
            *  Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards: