[uf-discuss] Geo deployed on Wikipedia.

Costello, Roger L. costello at mitre.org
Wed Apr 4 04:31:50 PDT 2007

>>Is there an "adr template" in Wikipedia, so that the adr Microformat
>>can be automatically injected into Wikipedia pages?

>Not /yet/...

>>Is there a way to create new templates?  Can we create a template for
>>hcard, vevent, and so forth?

>That's being looked at, but the situation is extremely complex, ...

I think that it might not be complex, if the scope is limited.

Many wiki articles have the name of a person.  Create a wikipedia
template that wraps the name with hCard.

For example, here's a wikipedia article on Arthur Ernest Percival [1].
His name could be wrapped in a wiki template like this:

{{person-name
|given-name=Arthur|additional-name=Ernest|family-name=Percival}}

The HTML that is generated by the template could be:

Arthur Ernest Percival
     (<span class="family-name">Percival</span>,

It's a very simple hcard, but I think even this simple structuring
would be beneficial.

Likewise, many wiki articles have the name of a country.  The country
name could be wrapped in a template such as this:

{{country-name |Singapore}}

The HTML that is generated by the template could be:

Singapore
     (<span class="country-name">Singapore</span)

Again, although very simple, I think the structuring would be
beneficial.

Thoughts?

/Roger

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ernest_Percival