[uf-discuss] Geo deployed on Wikipedia.

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Apr 6 16:21:44 PDT 2007

In message
<21e523c20704060848h7d0d1f79gc9a6855c27e0f520 at mail.gmail.com>, David
Janes <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> writes

>On 4/6/07, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> The first large-scale deployment of the new version of that template is
>> at:
>>         <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_impact_craters_on_Earth>
>>
>> and the linked lists of craters-by-continent.
>
>Interesting. if there was a way of know what the geo applied to, it
>would be quite easy to write a KML converter and feed that into Google
>Maps/Google Earth.

Unfortunately, the wiki markup for a table doesn't (so far as I'm
aware!) allow a class to be applied to an anchor element, so I can get:

   <TD class="fn org">
        <A title="Sudbury Basin"
        href="/wiki/Sudbury_Basin">Sudbury</A>
   </TD>

but not :

   <TD>
        <A class="fn org" title="Sudbury Basin"
        href="/wiki/Sudbury_Basin">Sudbury</A>
   </TD>

Hence my comment the other day, about adding uFs to Wikipedia being more
complex than at first appears...

That's now in use on, only:

   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_impact_craters_on_Earth>

Interestingly, Operator recognises the second as a valid hCard. I think
that's against the spec, but useful in limited circumstances (see my
recent, parallel, suggestion about recognising "alt" attributes on
images).

The "Almost Universal Microformat Parser" returns 403 forbidden :-(

--
Andy Mabbett