hPrivacy [Re: [uf-discuss] Numbers of Microformats in the Wild?]

Guillaume Lebleu gl at brixlogic.com
Thu Apr 12 09:43:50 PDT 2007

Does this OpenID+hCard deals with selective privacy? i.e. showing
certain information to only some class of people?

I have tried to solve this problem on my own with something I call
"hPrivacy".

I know this is more semantic HTML than Microformats, but I think this
may be relevant to this list.

hPrivacy is about using hprivacy-friends, hprivacy-pro, etc. class
attributes in the HTML to annotate what I want specific groups to see
about my identity. A proxy or Web server module is used to filter the
content based on the visitor's group.

It's very early and not finished (visitors cannot authenticate or
provide secrets that prove they belong to a particular group, in a way
akin to Danah Boyd's SecureId
http://smg.media.mit.edu/people/danah/thesis/thesis/secureid.html), but
I have implemented the proxy that filters the HTML content based on the
group.

Here is what the public sees: http://lebleu.org/index.php
Here is what my friends see: http://lebleu.org/index.php?group=family
(of course this URL is just for the prototype)
Here is what my pro contacts see: http://lebleu.org/index.php?group=pro
(of course this URL is just for the prototype)

In the source HTML of these pages, you won't see any hprivacy-
attributes as they are removed to not provide any clue as to which group
a visitor does not belong to.

Here is the actual HTML with the hprivacy attributes:
http://lebleu.org/hcard.html (should be in a private folder retrieved by
the Web server module/proxy) where you can see all the annotations.

Let me know what you think. Since this is not a microformat really, as
it is not on the Web, if some people find it useful and would like to
discuss it or help me with the implementation, I was thinking to move
this to a separate Web site hprivacy.org.

Guillaume