[uf-discuss] Microformat bake-fest

Charl van Niekerk charlvn at charlvn.za.net
Sat Apr 14 03:52:05 PDT 2007

On 4/14/07, Absalom Media <absalom at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I've been doing the codebase work for the 1.0.x build and been hugely
> successful. The one thing I still need to figure out is why should I use
>  stuff like RDF/eRDF and MicroID, which are not really microformats.
> What benefits do they provide alongside microformats ?

My observation is that a couple of years ago, the web standards
community focused a lot on theory; that has mostly turned around and
now the community is much more focused on practicality (thinking about
efforts like Microformats and HTML 5).

Personally, my focus would be mainly on implementing technologies that
can actually be used. My thinking is that Microformats is a must-have
thanks to the various implementations already in existence.

The use of RDF, to me, would focus also on actual implementations.
Would it be handy to use it, and if so, where? Will it help the user?

Forms of RDF embedded into (X)HTML seems to have generally lost
popularity, especially with Microformats on the scene. I haven't
actually thought about MicroID in terms of Joomla so far, but will do
some more research and thinking.

I would love input and feedback regarding my work for the GSoC,
especially over the next month as I refine my project plans.

Thanks & Regards,
Charl

--
Charl van Niekerk