[uf-discuss] URLs in hrefs

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 06:08:22 PDT 2007

"David Janes" <davidjanes at blogmatrix.com> writes:

> The reason that there has been little discussion is that the rules for
> dealing with this are well understood and settled. This document [1]
> will give you everything you need -- written in 1995.
>
> Regards, etc...
>
> [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1808.txt

I disagree. I think Mikey raises a good point. When you're parsing
bits of data from a page with xslt or javascript you sometimes have to
do the url resolution yourself and that is not as simple as it should
be.

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that some pages have absolute
uris in them and some don't. So you have to check before you work out
whether you'll have to do resolution or not.

So if you want to be mashup developer friendly then you'll use
absolute uris - but you'll certainly have to be aware of all the
problems that come with that which rfc1808 spells out quite clearly.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk