[uf-discuss] URLs in hrefs

Michael Smethurst Michael.Smethurst at bbc.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 02:50:24 PDT 2007

OK, ok, ok... My mistake

I'd assumed that uf parsers couldn't handle non full path urls... Silly on
my part

In mitigation:
- I'm not sure the uf wiki makes this clear
- All the examples on the wiki seem to use full path urls
- By default using url_for on RoR gives full path urls (check twitter).
Everything else about RoR feels designed and there for a reason so I assumed
that this was
- I've spent quite a bit of time mashing up musicbrainz and wikipedia and
got frustrated at having to fill out the wikipedia full path urls myself -
I'm lazy
- Against my better judgement I spend a lot of time in the company of rest
apis. I've yet to come across one that doesn't use full path urls. In my
mind ufs are apis so...
- I had read the http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1808.txt doc many months
previously and again before posting

I'm sure there are caveats for most of the above and I apologise for not
spending my weekend fully researching them all

But the question remains:
Microformats aside, if I'm making a new website from scratch (no legacy
code/markup) and I want to encourage others to hack, mashup, interwingle it
with other data is it best to use /radio4 or http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4
?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/