[uf-discuss] Authority (was: Text::Microformat - a uf parser for Perl)

Dr. Ernie Prabhakar ernest.prabhakar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 15:54:42 PDT 2007

Hi Andy,

On Apr 26, 2007, at 3:35 PM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> That's a point-of view, but not a definitive fact. Who says it's
> not a microformat? With what authority?

Um, is there any authority you *would* accept for that usage?

The "common usage" on this list is that "microformats" is best
applied that markup which follows the microformat process:

> http://microformats.org/wiki/process

and that other forms of semantic markup should be referred to as
"semantic HTML" or POSH.

I realize you may not like that distinction, and we may or may not
have any ability to enforce that, but I think it is only reasonable
for us to attempt to enforce community standards, if only through
peer pressure.

> What happens if Microsoft or Mozilla (or both together) announce that
> the next version of their browser(s) will support "microformat X",
> with
> a specification for marking up, say, play-lists (or whatever), what
> makes you think they and their users would pay any heed to
> protestations here?

In my experience, many people in organizations like Mozilla actually
care a great deal about community precedent -- and the wishes of the
original authors of a term -- whether or not it is enforced in formal
governance structures.

I like to think of it as "common courtesy", though I suppose on the
Internet that's an oxymoron. :-P

- Ernie P.