[uf-discuss] Expanding the abbr pattern

John Beales john at johnbeales.com
Fri Apr 27 10:18:50 PDT 2007

Jeremy wrote:
> The simplest solution is to simply expand the pattern to allow the
> same usage of class and title on elements other than abbr (span is
> specifically mentioned but this would potentially apply to any element).
> I'd be interested in hearing other arguments for or against this idea.

I have another one for.  This isn't from a screen reader perspective,
but an IE perspective.

Because IE doesn't support the abbr element it is very difficult to
target anything written using the abbr design pattern with CSS.  If we
could use, say, a span this would solve that problem.

However, I understand the title-abuse issue too.  We seem to be in a dilemma.

John