[uf-discuss] changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Apr 30 06:59:59 PDT 2007

I've been following this thread with some interest, and I have a
question: what is the ideal amount of human interface with machine-
readable content (when different from human-readable content) in
microformats?  In visual browsers, the current common interface is a
minimal readability of machine-readable content only while a cursor
is hovering over the <abbr>.  Is this middle ground between full
readability (e.g. <span class="dtstart">2007-05-10 23:30:00-06:00</
span>) and zero readability (e.g. external RDF) a goal, or an
unintended side effect of using <abbr>?  If the latter, I think we
should probably focus on potential solutions that would remove this
kind of exceptional not-for-human-consumption machine-readable
content from both aural and visual browsers.  And if the former, we
should focus on solutions which simply improve the interface of such
content.  But I'm not clear on what the goal is here.

Peace,
Scott