[uf-discuss] changing abbr-design-pattern to title-design-pattern?

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Mon Apr 30 23:26:23 PDT 2007

On 4/30/07 5:20 PM, "Jon Gibbins (dotjay)" <dotjay at november5th.net> wrote:

> I'm guessing not, due to invalid characters.

Worse, it hides data in the *rel* attribute which is an anti-design-pattern,
as is putting data in the *class* attribute.  Both of these are designed for
limited sets of terms/properties, not for data values.  Putting data in
'rel' or 'class' is a non-starter.

> An alternative would be to reference a unique meta element in the
> document head.

Also bad - requiring access to head is a non-starter (many content scenarios
forbid head access).  And meta, being both invisible and detached from
inline content, is ill suited for storing any informantion that has *any*
chance of being updated.

Tantek