[uf-discuss] inappropriate behaviour (was: Discussion of public domain declaration template usage)

Frances Berriman fberriman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 02:02:00 PDT 2007

On 01/08/07, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> In message <sTsRdnHwr9pGFwfF at pigsonthewing.org.uk>, Andy Mabbett
> <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> writes
>
> >>Frankly Andy, due to your use of the {{subst}} method, you have now added
> >>additional time cost to determining if any page *you* edit in particular is
> >>consistently in the public domain or not with respect to all other public
> >>domain contributors.
> >
> >Frankly, Tantek, that's bullshit.
>
> I have just received an e-mail, from Frances Berriman, subject  "Warning
> of inappropriate behaviour on mf-discuss", citing the above exchange of
> 26 July, in:
>
>   <http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007-July/010261.html>
>
> and telling me that:
>
>         Such an outburst (sic) requires (sic) a warning that if you
>         cannot contribute with respect and in an appropriate tone on the
>         mailing list, you will receive a cooling off ban.
>
> Perhaps Ms Berriman isn't familiar with British English vernacular
> (which would be odd, I understand she lives here), but "Rubbish,
> nonsense" is in the Oxford English Dictionary, and means "rubbish,
> nonsense". In any case, that was no "outburst"; but a considered and apt
> description of the comment to which I was responding; and I stand by it.

If you'd like to correct my typos, please do, but the discuss mailing
list isn't the venue to do so.

If you feel that your response wasn't out of order, okay - feel free
to say so or clarify your intent off list.

> Ironically, Ms Berriman also implies that I'm a - quote - "jerk". The
> OED tells me that that insult refers to "Someone of little or no
> account; a fool, a stupid person". Perhaps she ought to put her own
> house in order.

Out of context.  I simple quoted the statement from the "be nice"
guidelines, as below:

"
Per the mailing-lists guideline "be nice":

"The admins may take swift action to ban or moderate individuals who
essentially are "jerks" on the list."
"

> Also of interest is the fact that Ms Berriman signs her post "on behalf
> of the microformats administration". I can find no reference to such an
> organisation on the wiki or mailing list. Maybe I've missed something?

This was just a politeness on my behalf, as I spoke not as an
individual but for those listed on the governance section[1] of the
wiki, who are refered to as the administration.  I was under the
impression that that would be clear enough for you.

I also specifically said that you may email me if you've got any
questions.  I'm always more than happy to clarify things, or if you
genuinely felt that you weren't in the wrong, that is up for
discussion too.  Holding such conversations on the discuss list isn't
appropriate or helpful though.

If you, or anyone else for that matter, would like to discuss this
further, please email me off list.

[1]http://microformats.org/wiki/governance

--
Frances Berriman