[uf-discuss] Re: Getting legal help (was: inappropriate behaviour)

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Fri Aug 3 07:10:07 PDT 2007

At 10:10 PM -0400 8/2/07, Manu Sporny wrote:

>It is vital to have people that can challenge
>the status quo, people such as Andy, involved in a community such as this.

    I agree that challenges to the status quo can be useful, but it is
NOT valuable to have members of community who will challenge it in
abusive ways-- any more than it is useful to have members who will
defend it in abusive ways.
    (I'm not saying you are such a person, Manu; just pointing out
that the need to be non-abusive extends to everyone, regardless of
where they stand on any issue.)

>His replies reflect reservations that several members of this community
>choose not to express out of fear of retaliation.

    To date, the administrators-- of which I could be considered an
unofficial member, though I've done next to no administrative work
since the list was founded-- have not "retaliated".  Ever.  They act
to defend and preserve the community's nature, and do so with great
reluctance.  Too much reluctance, in my opinion, but that's the
nature of this community.
    Andy does not get banned for challenging the status quo or
expressing reservations.  Andy gets himself temporarily banned from
time to time because he can't seem to bring himself to treat other
members of the community with respect and civility, nor to avoid
borderline trollish behaviors.  I think that's a shame, because much
of the time I find myself in at least partial agreement with what (I
think) he's trying to say.
    But if that sounds in any way like a defense of Andy's attitude or
criticism of the administrators' actions, it is neither.  Nobody has
the right to poison discourse and damage the community, no matter
what they're trying to say.

--
Eric A. Meyer  (eric at meyerweb.com)
Principal, Complex Spiral Consulting   http://complexspiral.com/