[uf-discuss] Micro Summary

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Tue Aug 7 09:42:31 PDT 2007

On Aug 7, 2007, at 9:19 AM, Paul Kinlan wrote:

> I am thinking of using "META description" for now (but I am not sure
> of the quality of data in the tag), however, I have been looking at
> micro-summary (http://microformats.org/wiki/microsummary-
> brainstorming).
>  Is this topic still alive?  Has anyone been developing this?  Are
> there any other similar developments (that I have missed)?
>
> If not, how can I help? Having micro summaries  would solve part of a
> problem that I am having (other than what I suspect is lack of useage
> at the moment).

I think the problem statement first needs clarification.  As you
point out, meta descriptions already provide summary information
about web pages.  What exactly are the problems with meta
descriptions, and how would micro-summary solve them?  If there's a
compelling use case (for publishers, not just consumers), the next
step is to collect examples of current publishing of this type of
information.  Then we can start analyzing both whether there's enough
of it to be worth continuing, and if so, how we might structure it to
be more machine-readable.

Peace,
Scott