[uf-discuss] uF's on stand-alone phone numbers.

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 23 08:42:40 PDT 2007

On 8/23/07 7:59 AM, "Alexander Mayrhofer" <axelm at nona.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into ways to mark up "standalone" phone numbers in a uF-friendly
> way. I don't have a name for a full hCard, only the phone number (and,
> potentially an email/web address).

Hi Alexander,

Could you provide a URL to an example on the Web that you are looking to
mark up?  Often times the surrounding context will yield critical clues for
the markup solution.

> Should i:
>
> - use a "fake" name for a full hCard (like "<number> addressbook entry") for
> a very minimal hCard

That seems like semantic noise, which should probably be avoided.

> - only mark up the phone number itself, and violate the hCard specs?

It sounds like you are proposing reusing the "tel" property outside of an
hCard.

That wouldn't "violate the hCard spec" per se, in that you wouldn't have an
invalid hCard, you wouldn't have an hCard at all.

It seems reasonable to experiment with using properties of hCard on their
own like that to see how it works with actual examples, especially given
that past such experiments have yielded additional microformats (geo [1],
adr [2]).

Doing so would be good use of POSH[3].

Thanks,

Tantek