[uf-discuss] Geo precision

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Mon Aug 27 04:35:23 PDT 2007

On 8/27/07, Ben Ward <lists at ben-ward.co.uk> wrote:
> Since then the only additional information I've found is that Flickr
> stores accuracy (as an integer) based on the zoom level of the map
> when you place a photo. In fact, if you zoom all the way out and
> place a photo you'll get a notice warning you that the location is
> too approximate and the photograph won't show up at higher zoom levels.

I've been doing some work with Google's geocoder, encoding addresses
into co-ordinates for mapping purposes.

Google uses an 9-point enum that is specified as a
human-understandable scale rather than specific geographical terms:

0	 Unknown location.
1	 Country level accuracy.
2	 Region (state, province, prefecture, etc.) level accuracy.
3	 Sub-region (county, municipality, etc.) level accuracy.
4	 Town (city, village) level accuracy.
5	 Post code (zip code) level accuracy.
6	 Street level accuracy.
7	 Intersection level accuracy.