[uf-discuss] Jeremy's inline friend link pattern

James O'Donnell jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Wed Dec 5 08:13:50 PST 2007

On 5 Dec 2007, at 15:20, Thom Shannon wrote:

> Jeremy Keith wrote:
>> The spec says that the element should contain "a reference to
>> other sources" and even gives an example of citing a person:
> I had a look at the specs too and it did seem to make sense. If
> you're referring to something someone said then that's clearly a
> citation. What if you're just saying they were present at an event?
> You can't really cite someone for that.

I think that's a perfectly acceptable use of <cite>. I've used it for
marking up the names of ships or books or bands. Handy for indicating
that some text is the name of a person or thing.

I wonder if this would solve a problem I've had in the past - marking
up variations on a name, within a text, to indicate that they all
refer to the same person (eg. Captain Cook or James Cook or just
simply Cook). <cite> with a title attribute could probably do that,
with a unique full name in the title attribute.

Jim

Jim O'Donnell
jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
http://eatyourgreens.org.uk