[uf-discuss] [admin] Notice of community ban

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Dec 12 10:29:46 PST 2007

In message <C33D7D49.96030%tantek at cs.stanford.edu>, Tantek Çelik
<tantek at cs.stanford.edu> writes

>On 10/18/07 8:03 PM, "Steve Robillard" <s.robillard at snet.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't believe anyone else has been banned, but rather that Andy has been
>> banned multiple times, and it appears to have had little effect.
>
>It did actually help for a while last time, as Andy's emails and behavior
>were certainly civil

I have - unlike some here - never been uncivil.

>for a while (he was last banned for a week back in
>July).  Unfortunately though, for whatever reason, his behavior lapsed,
>which then dragged (drug?) the tone down in the lists, to the point where
>many people were made to feel unmotivated to participate.

Please explain your "drug" reference.

>It's a good question.  A lot of us try to be optimists about human nature
>and thus keep hoping for the best.  This despite the fact that in this case,
>this individual has for example been banned from at least one other
>wiki-centric community, e.g. Wikipedia, for a year (for a second time).

The relevance of that ad hominem comment to this incident is..?

(In any case, the person responsible for orchestrating the first ban has
since publicly apologised to me for his behaviour (after having been
banned himself, for using abusive sock-puppets). The second was
described by a neutral observer as "a brutal and vindictive form of
coercion".)

>I will personally commit to (as I think the other admins will, though I am
>not speaking for them) improving the documentation of who the admins are,
>and the minimal processes that the admins follow

...tumbleweed passes.

[Snip excessive quoting, made in contravention of the community's own
guidelines.]

--
Andy Mabbett