[uf-discuss] Re: Precise Expansion Patterns

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Sun Dec 16 12:09:21 PST 2007

Paul Wilkins wrote:

> With this it is not possible to prevent the title from being used by
> screen readers and other people who hover their mouse over the time
> value.

This is not true. You can set several, of not all, screen readers to not
read titles of SPAN elements.

It is important for us to focus on the reason this discussion started in
the first place:

http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007-December/011035.html

The issue was accessibility, specifically, how accessible is the ABBR
design pattern for those that use screen readers.

At this point, it's really just a matter of testing the examples we have
so far:

http://uf.digitalbazaar.com/unit-tests/sandbox/isodata.html

Against the list of screen reader packages on the market:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screen_readers

I'll volunteer to check out Orca and JAWS and report the findings to the
list, and document them in the wiki.

-- manu