[uf-discuss] Multi-word tagging

Jim O'Donnell jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
Sun Dec 30 05:35:04 PST 2007

On 30 Dec 2007, at 02:09, Martin McEvoy wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-12-29 at 23:45 +0000, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>> google+search
>
> This is the best approach I think if you are building a url "+" is
> just
> a space, tags I always thought were just single descriptive words
> and a
> link to the meaning or reference (just my thought)
>
> ;)
>
> Martin

I think this has come up before. Delicious uses + to add terms to a
search via the 'related tags' links on a page.
eg. http://del.icio.us/eatyourgreens/video+music - links tagged with
the separate tags 'video' and 'music'

So + can indicate a space, but doesn't always. Which means you can't
necessarily relate a tag on Wikipedia, say, to a tag on flickr or
delicious. For real fun with tag spaces, have a look at this URL,
which relates four individual tags (I think) to provide some context
to the search http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/woolwich/clusters/
london-thames-uk/

I think the answer to the original question is - there is no standard
for encoding spaces in tags, so pick the scheme that works best for
you. %20 or underscores seem pretty unambiguous to me.

Jim

Jim O'Donnell
jim at eatyourgreens.org.uk
http://eatyourgreens.org.uk