[uf-discuss] [hCite] call for examples: language

Michael McCracken michael.mccracken at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 11:17:19 PST 2007

On 1/31/07, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> In message
> <d4fa3cf70701310055j77b87d79r5e2d1e4c0b0d4435 at mail.gmail.com>, Michael
> McCracken <michael.mccracken at gmail.com> writes
>
> >- We only have two examples of pages marking up the language on the
> >web - W3C and Amazon.com.
>
> Might that be because most if not all of the examples are from
> English-language websites, and that English-speakers are less likely to
> be aware of language of an issue, or to be working on second languages?

Absolutely - I'm asking for help to correct this bias. If anyone can
contribute examples from the web of documents in one language citing
another language, that would help provide evidence for a language
field in hCite.

If there are no such examples, we could just say that the citations
are assumed to be in the same language, and remove the language field
(potentially revisiting it for later revisions of the microformat).

-mike

--
Michael McCracken
UCSD CSE PhD Candidate