[uf-discuss] Re: Moderation & Governance

Benjamin West bewest at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 10:46:46 PST 2007

> * http://microformats.org/wiki/faq#Q:_Who_controls_microformats.3F
> * http://microformats.org/wiki/issues#Governance_Issues
>
> I would also like to revive the idea of a "meta-discuss" list to
> handle governance and other non-technical issues.  This appears to be
> off-topic for the current wiki page on mailing lists for new
> micorformats:

> So, can anyone suggest the appropriate venue for proposing/discussing
> that?
>
> -- Ernie P.

Ernie,

Thanks.  I think you nailed it.  Let's try to keep -discuss on-topic.
Issues can go on either the to-do page or on
<http://microformats.org/wiki/issues#Governance_Issues>.

Joe,

There are people on the -admin list who are not considered admins.
These include service providers and other influential contacts.  In
addition, Ryan and I have had conversations about how the admins are
cautious to make changes without seeking feedback and corroboration
with others.  This includes not [mis]representing others, which I
believe Scott was doing.  However, this also means that there won't be
any broad sweeping changes overnight.  I can assure you that all of
the admins will be apropriately listed on the wiki page.  Until that
list is complete, my original suggestion remains: you can create the
list of active admins by looking at the IRC logs.

If you can be persistent in your criticisms without resorting to
hyberbolic imagery, it would allow, at least, me, more strongly
consider your points.  As for the policing metaphor, it's simply not
true.  There is no policing of the list that I'm aware of.  Andy's
moderation was a public decision, as have all the other decisions I'm
aware of.  Voting for many things takes place on the wiki.  If you
feel that there are policies or information that are unclear, I
encourage you to ask about them, or perhaps bring them up on the
issues page mentioned earlier.

Finally, I'd like to encourage posts to this list to remain on-topic,
lest we devolve into senseless bickering.

Thanks,
Ben West