[uf-discuss] Re: Authoritative hCards

Edward O'Connor hober0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 12:00:48 PST 2007

Ryan wrote:

> Right, but there's also a lot of use to reusing things from the
> present microformat (hCard).
>

> vCard has a property called UID, which is defined as:
>
> """
> Type purpose: To specify a value that represents a globally unique
> identifier corresponding to the individual or resource associated with
> the vCard.
> """
>
> This is actually already in use by several large microformat publisher
> (eventful.com) to between venues in their events and the hCards for
> those events.
>
> It's been proposed before that using URL and UID together is
> sufficient for the things we're trying to solve here (I'm having
> trouble finding a reference in the archives).

<some-element class="vcard">
  <a rel="me url uid" ...

This feels right to me. Also, from an OpenID perspective, rel="uid" in
an hcard sounds an awful lot like "this is my id."

[And yes, we (eventful.com) use rel="url uid" to point from a venue
hcard in an event entry to the venue's own (authoritative) page.]

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0 at gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.