[uf-discuss] Re: Should microformat features (like rel-tag) have explicit scope?

Edward O'Connor hober0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 13:53:55 PST 2007

James Craig wrote:

> Requiring a restful URL for rel-tag (though the ideal solution) is
> expecting a lot more of a µf author than requiring authors to add a
> bit of markup.

While properly implementing a tag space may be slightly more
difficult[1] than other methods for some developers or organizations, I
think the benefits far, far outweigh the cost. In the context of
discussing how to represent tag in Atom, I recently blogged[2] that
"basically, tag spaces are what make tags truly portable across the
Web." By deploying a tag space you're following existing practice and
helping your users discover more of your content.

Ted

1. See #4 in the rel-tag FAQ: http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag-faq
2. http://edward.oconnor.cx/2007/02/representing-tags-in-atom#principle.tag-space

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0 at gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.