[uf-discuss] Should microformat features (like rel-tag) have explicit scope?

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Thu Feb 8 00:02:33 PST 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:30 PM, Derrick Lyndon Pallas wrote:

> Yes, there are other ways to solve the problem; in fact, I do solve
> the problem in an unelegant way. My real issue now is (as laid out
> above) the resistance to real discussion of the problem.

I think what you're seeing is that microformats value publishers
above parsers.  Anything that makes publishing even marginally more
difficult to make parsing easier is a non-starter.  As long as
parsing is *possible* (and you seem to agree it is), that's good
enough for microformats.  The theory is if we can make it absolutely
as easy as possible for publishers, they'll flood the web with
semantic content, and parsers will work through the difficulty to get
that content.  And you'll find plenty of interest here in helping
through the difficulty.  But not much in shifting any (not even a
bit) of the difficulty onto publishers.  That's just fundamentally
not how microformats are designed.

If you want a general means of consuming microformat content, just
consume RDF.  GRDDL [1] converts specific microformats to RDF, so any
RDF consumer is effectively a generic microformats consumer.  When
new microformats are developed, they'll end up in RDF as soon as
someone works out the GRDDL, and you won't need to update your RDF
consumer at all.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/01/rdxh/spec

Peace,
Scott