[uf-discuss] UID URL to indicate (relatively) more authoritative hCard (Was: Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate an authoritative hCard)

David Janes davidjanes at blogmatrix.com
Thu Feb 8 14:23:54 PST 2007

On 2/8/07, Scott Reynen <scott at randomchaos.com> wrote:

> So as I understand that, the rules for getting the most authoritative
> hCard for a given URL are:
>
> 1) parse hCard at current URL
> 2) If the hCard includes <a class="uid url">, load the URL in the
> href, and return to step 1.
>
> When the consumer gets to http://theryanking.com/blog/contact/#vcard
> and finds no <a class="uid url">, it stops there and that's his
> authoritative hCard.

OK (and I'm not trying to turn into Andy here), but doesn't this feel
at least a little unsatisfactory? That the authoritative hCard is the
one that _doesn't_ have a UID, i.e. potentially has less information
than a fragment hCard?!

I'm not killer against the idea or anything, but at least I think that
should be brought up.

Here's one potential usage snag:
- I copy the hCard at http://theryanking.com/blog/contact/#vcard to my
"address book"
- I use it somewhere (to refer to Ryan King)
- It doesn't have a UID, so there's no tracing it back to source

Regards, etc...

--
David Janes
Founder, BlogMatrix