[uf-discuss] COinS information?

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 8 19:04:26 PST 2007

Ok, I'll try this again...
______________________________

Adrienne,

As someone that was actively involved in creating COinS, it's not a
microformat.

Most of the reasons are semantic, some are pedantic, but it boils down to:
1.  Microformats have a process and COinS was developed outside that process
2.  COinS hides its data in an attribute -- ufs don't like hidden data
3.  I think there's a potential conflict, eventually, between hCite and
COinS, but let's burn that bridge when we get to it.

That being said, COinS have merit with or without the microformat
community:  however, they aren't microformats.

If you haven't joined the gcs-pcs list (
http://groups.google.com/group/gcs-pcs-list), that's a good place to talk
about COinS (since it's where it was conceived).
-Ross.