[uf-discuss] VIA or VIA SELF to indicate authoritative hCard[was:UID URL to indicate (relatively) more authoritativehCard(Was:Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate anauthoritative hCard)]

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Mon Feb 12 06:36:44 PST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 8:16 AM, David Janes wrote:

> On 2/11/07, Ryan Cannon <ryan at ryancannon.com> wrote:
>> UID+URL *is* more constraining. Like rel-tag, you're forcing a lot of
>> assumptions about the documents *surrounding* these URLs--links have
>> to point somewhere after all.
>>
>> My UID, if you will, is http://ryancannon.com/. I've established it
>> across many different sites as the definitive link for "me". By
>> forcing UID+URL to be used to establish an hCard's source, you're
>> also forcing my most robust hCard must exist at that URL.
>
> Absolutely not. Look at the discussions I've been having with Ryan
> King, and in particular, the examples and algorithms applied to same.
> Explicitly we use RK's home page as an intermediate pointer link to
> another location where the authoritative hCard lives.

This is the algorithm you're describing, right?

> Also, the algorithm for finding the most authoritative hCard:
>
> 1. if no uid or uid == the uid from the previous iteration/recursion
> => you're done
> 2. if url == uid and there's an hCard at that url, recurse with the
> new hCard

with the result that

> At each of these URLs it finds another hCard that leads on again, thus
> identifying a series of related hCards. All of which are tied, by
> virtue of the UID, to the value of the element

(from http://microformats.org/discuss/mail/microformats-discuss/2007-
February/008658.html)

This looks to me like it abuses the semantics of UID. If you're creating
a chain of hCards with UID, how does that property describe

> a globally unique identifier corresponding to the individual or
> resource associated with the vCard.

(from http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt)

Is RK's UID http://theryanking.com/blog/contact/#vcard or http://
theryanking.com?

Each hCard in that chain contains a *different* UID. That's not a
globally unique identifier. The *object identifier* of the hCard
and the *source document* for the hCard are two semantically different
things, and need two different constructs.

--
Ryan Cannon

Interactive Developer
MSI Student, School of Information