[uf-discuss] SOURCE+URL to indicate authoritative hCard (was UID+URL vs. VIA)

Scott Reynen scott at randomchaos.com
Mon Feb 12 15:13:19 PST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 4:40 PM, Ryan King wrote:

>> SOURCE is just the 'source' of where the the hcard came from.
>>
>> 2.1.4 SOURCE Type
>>
>>   If the SOURCE type is present, then its value provides information
>>   how to find the source for the vCard.
>
> SOURCE in vCard is essentially the same as self in Atom (AFAICT).

I think SOURCE is actually closer to VIA in Atom, as "the source of
the information provided in the containing element," which is why I
suggested it.  As I understood the arguments between UID+URL and VIA
(and I may well have missed some key points), UID+URL is good because
it's already in vCard, but bad because not all UIDs point to more
authoritative hCards.  And VIA is good because the source of
information is always more authoritative than the derivative, but bad
because it's not already in vCard.  So SOURCE+URL seems good because
the source of information is always more authoritative than the
derivative, and also good because it's already in vCard.

vCard's SOURCE is taken from RFC 2425, which offers an explanation
that sounds to me like what we're trying to accomplish:

> The SOURCE type is used to provide the means by
> which applications knowledgable in the given directory service
> protocol can obtain additional or more up-to-date information from
> the directory service.

"Additional or more up-to-date information" is what we're looking for
in an authoritative hCard, right?

Peace,
Scott