[uf-discuss] VIA or VIA SELF to indicate authoritative hCard[was:UID URL to indicate (relatively) more authoritativehCard(Was:Vote on this: rel="me self" to indicate anauthoritative hCard)]

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Tue Feb 13 10:39:55 PST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 6:36 AM, Ryan Cannon wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2007, at 8:16 AM, David Janes wrote:
>
>> a globally unique identifier corresponding to the individual or
>> resource associated with the vCard.
>
> (from http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2426.txt)
>
> Is RK's UID http://theryanking.com/blog/contact/#vcard or http://
> theryanking.com?
>
> Each hCard in that chain contains a *different* UID. That's not a
> globally unique identifier. The *object identifier* of the hCard
> and the *source document* for the hCard are two semantically different
> things, and need two different constructs.

Actually, it is a globally unique identifier. I'm the only person in
the world represented by http://theryanking.com, http://
theryanking.com/contact/ and http://theryanking.com/contact/#vcard.
Any hCard that includes these as UIDs represent me.

Though each of those represent only me, I obviously have many
different URLs on the web that could be treated as my UID. This makes
things messy, for sure, but it's how people work on the web already.

-ryan
--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com