[uf-discuss] Tutorial on AHAH (such a cool technology!)

Xasima Xirohata xasima at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 03:46:46 PST 2007

> I'm not sure if people are missing it or what... so here it is again:
 > My point was that if you don't intend to send the user somewhere, you
> shouldn't use an anchor.

woudn't the following presupposition  be more exact?

Providing the anchor with "href" and  possible with the "rel" and
"class" attributes you will offer  to  users  the way to discover the
information that you've treated as  meaningful in separate context,
and might be involved in the user's interest.

If you think that
1) the "info-snippets" are closely coupled  with the main page
2) no  agent/user will want to traverse the info connected with the
current context/page
3) you treat the action and the data that emerged at this action as
the UI hint only, no dealing with the real information connections.

Than the decision to use the button / javascript:ahah('') is really
fine. The hint and UI is for browser only, then you are free to use
the language  related to the browser specific.

In any  contrary ways, your "not sending the user somewhere" will get
to the "not providing the user with information of any data related to
the current one". My point that by href you don't send to, but provide
with the information that the emdedded information is separate and
meaningfull  in the overall info-space (perhaps having the appopriate
rest-api support), not only as trick for UI/browser level.

--
Best regards,
     ~ Xasima Xirohata ~