[uf-discuss] What is a defanged-span ?

Chris Gathercole cgatherc at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 21 09:10:37 PST 2007

Hi,

I've been dabbling with RSS feeds and microformats, embedding a microformat
in the item description of an RSS2.0 feed. When the RSS feed is viewed in
Bloglines, it displays ok in a web browser but, on close examination of the
html, it turns out that all the <span> elements have been renamed as
<defanged-span>.

I've queried Google to try and establish why this is, but all I get is lots
of pages which contain defanged-spans in their html, and no explanations.

Can anyone on this list explain why Bloglines converts <span> to
<defanged-span> when displaying rss feeds?

My best guess is some form of self-defense for Bloglines against nasty rss
feeds (though I do not know how it would help), but if so, why don't other
rss viewers (such as GoogleReader) do the same thing?

-Chris