[uf-discuss] [hcite] indentifier

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 10:35:45 PST 2007

On 2/21/07, Ryan Cannon <ryan at ryancannon.com> wrote:
> Identifier is, Per the straw man[1]:
>
>  > An (not necessarily globally unique) identifier, such as a
>  > cite-key, pubmed ID number, or simply the reference number
>  > or string within a publication ([1] or [CLRS2001])

--- i'm not sure exactly when/where that explaination came from, but i
would also include things like ISBN, ISSN as identifiers.

> I wrote an hCite export template for BibDesk*, and used the
> identifier (cite-key)
> as the id attribute on the root element. I'll argue that `identifier`
> is not data
> that needs to be accessible to humans, and we already have a semantic
> equivalent
> in HTML.

--- i think identifiers such as ISBN are valuable as human-readable data.

> Comments?

---  KEYS for things like BibTeX are not globally unique, but unique
only to the bibtext file. This can be generated by any transforming
application and are not needed in the mark-up. But KEYS are not the
same as IDENTIFIERS. Identifiers should be human-readable because
these are used to uniquely identify for find the object in a physical
world. Things like key-value-pairs are machines use only and shouldn't
be part of hCite.

-brian

--
brian suda