[uf-discuss] User Groups

Brian Suda brian.suda at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 05:18:10 PST 2007

On 2/22/07, Thom Shannon <thom at ts0.com> wrote:
> I'm talking about regional user groups, like clubs. Where people meet
> regularly and they tend to focus on certain technologies or interest
> areas. It can be pretty difficult to find out whats in your own area
> though because everyone does it slightly differently, a lot of people
> are starting to use event sites like upcoming, many of which use
> microformats.
>
> I want to try and promote microformats to these groups though, and
> hopefully get people to ping pingerati so we can use it to search for
> events. I guess I've got the idea pretty well formed in my head now,
> just need to start pushing it.

Both hCalendar and hCard have a class="category" this can be a
rel-tag. So it is conceivable that you could just agree on a tag for
each organization. Then aggregators like Technorati or Icerocket will
find all the members in that organization. Then you can use that list
and extract hCards and hCalendars that contain that tag.

For example:
<li class="vcard"><a href="http://suda.co.uk" class="fn url">Brian
Suda</a> member of <a href="/tags/super-power-club" class="category"
rel="tag">super power club</a></li>

Then as agregator sites index all the tags (or the sites are submitted
to pingerati and pushed to your aggregator site) you can then extract
that hCard for your index.

Is that what you are describing?
-brian

--