[uf-discuss] Re: "related" hcards [was VIA or VIA SELF to indicate authoritative hCard [was:UID URL to indicate (relatively) more authoritative hCard...]]

Ryan Cannon ryan at ryancannon.com
Fri Feb 23 12:30:37 PST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 4:45 AM, Joe Andrieu wrote:
> Instead, I would like to propose that "source" be traversed to
> discover synonymous hCards, relying on UIDs for association, without
> requiring that source == UID prior to traversal.
>
> [my apologies if my shifting position seems to undermine my case. I
> have learned much discussing this topic and can see why
> "via"/"via self" has problems and find "source" to be both in the
> vCard spec and suitable for the usage.)

I don't think you did, Joe.

CATEGORY in vCard became rel-tag in hCard because rel-tag was already
defined as semantically the same.
SOURCE in vCard can become rel-via in hCard because rel-via is
already defined (in Atom) as semantically the same.

> [Ryan King] also stated:
>
>> Indeed, in vcard UID is just a string, but my proposal is that we
>> make it by default a URL. It's a simple change (which may already be
>> implemented in X2V).

> Previously, [Ryan King] objected:
>
>> SOURCE is already used by X2V to indicate the URL at which the
>> current hCard is available. I don't think we'd be able to override
>> that at this point.
>>

> I respect the work done by Brian Suda and others on X2V, but this
> argument doesn't pass the smell test.

Basically either decision is going to have to change the way
parsers (including, but not only X2V) handles hCard. We'll need
to create a new parsing rule for fields that
should-be-but-are-not-required-to-be URL's regardless. This
argument will inevitably lead to a draw.

--
Ryan Cannon

Interactive Developer
MSI Student, School of Information