[uf-discuss] rel-tag title as tag value (Was: Should microformat features (like rel-tag) have explicit scope?)

Angus McIntyre angus at pobox.com
Mon Feb 26 10:13:27 PST 2007

On Mon, February 26, 2007 11:53 am, Mike Kaply wrote:
> ... please don't say "use an external tagspace" The tag might be
> an internal only product or a codename, so the tagspace belongs
> inside the company.

This actually relates to an issue I've been dealing with.

I have a bunch of places where I want to use rel-tag, but I don't want to
send users sailing off to Technorati or wherever. The spec says:

   The destination of a rel="tag" hyperlink is required to be a
   tag space (a place that collates or defines tags) ...

The general behavior that I want is to make the tag a link to a search
results page that lists similarly-tagged items. You can see this at, for
example:

    http://sexworkersproject.org/publications/archives/factsheets/2005

This is an index page for a set of documents and the tags for the
documents (and by extension, the page) are shown in a gray box at the end
of the page; clicking on any tag takes you to a page listing all documents
containing that tag. (This may look a little weird on IE6; I'm still
dealing with some of the usual IE CSS rendering issues).

My question is whether the search results page can be said to 'collate'
the tags in the sense that the spec intends.

Opinions?

Angus