[uf-discuss] Identity-related hCards?

Ryan King ryan at technorati.com
Wed Feb 28 10:26:27 PST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Scott Reynen wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Ryan King wrote:
>
>> However, the simpler problem of two hcards representing the same
>> person (or organization) should be solved first, because it is a
>> simpler problem, with a simpler solution (which may not require
>> adding any properties to hCard).
>
> The implication I've always taken from the "simpler problem first"
> principle is that this makes the more complex problems easier to
> solve.  But this is only true if the simpler problem actually helps
> solve the more complex problem.  Related hCards is also a simpler
> problem than book citations, but we don't half that discussion
> because solving the simpler problem has no descernable impact on
> the more complex problem.  I think what's confusing those of us
> interested in the more complex problem of authoritative hCards is
> how solving related hCards would actually help solve that problem.
>
> And maybe that's because what you're describing is actually more
> specific that "related hCards" implies.  It seems here you're just
> talking about a single relationship: identity.

Yes. You're exactly right. I'm afraid I haven't been that clear. When
I say "related hCards" I mean related in that they represent the same
person or organization. I've been using "related hCards" as shorthand
for "hCards that represent the same person or organization", which I
now realize must be confusing. (but it seemed so clear in my head! :D)

-ryan

--
Ryan King
ryan at technorati.com