[uf-discuss] rel="nsfw"

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Mon Jan 1 09:29:51 PST 2007

On 1/1/07, Colin Barrett <timber at lava.net> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2007, at 5:51 AM, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>
> > I thought tagging was for tagging the current page, not labelling a
> > link
> > to a second page.
>
> It could be expanded to include links? -- I don't know a whole lot
> about it, it was suggested in the discussion I had with someone where
> it was pointed out that this is an incorrect use of rel.

I don't believe rel-tag is an incorrect use of 'rel'.  @rel="tag"
means that the page being linked to is a tag for the current page.
The linked page should ideally contain a definition of what the tag
means.

Another @rel value that is more similar to the @rel="nsfw" would be
@rel="no-follow", which is trying to express an opinion about the
linked page rather than describing the link relationship.

My own opinion is that a rating is more like an hReview, but the
semantics don't correspond too well.

-Ciaran McNulty