Scope of tags (Was: [uf-discuss] rel="nsfw")

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Wed Jan 3 14:08:02 PST 2007

In message
<21e770780701030231y26b16655if066d2bc156d9149 at mail.gmail.com>, Brian
Suda <brian.suda at gmail.com> writes

>> Suppose Sue publishes a family tree as a series of web pages, one for
>> each person.
>>
>> On her own page, she has:
>
>>         http://example.com/sue.html
>>         Title: Sue Smith
>>
>>         Jane                            Fred

>>            |_____________.______________|
>>                         Sue
>>
>> with an hCard for each person. If they tag Fred as "deceased", then
>> they, too, are shown as deceased. Not good.
>
>--- i´m not sure how you came to that conclusion?

On:

        <http://microformats.org/wiki/rel-tag#Abstract>

        By adding rel="tag" to a hyperlink, a page indicates that the
        destination of that hyperlink is an author-designated "tag" (or
        keyword/subject) for the current page. Note that a tag may just
        refer to a major portion of the current page

> certainly
>aggregators would mark that the page is "about" the term "deceased"
>but it wouldn´t make an assumption about individual hCards? and
>depending on the mark-up if Sue is NOT nested inside Fred´s hCard,
>then there is a distinction between where/what/who the rel-tag is
>relating.

There is? Where, on the rel-tag spec, is that made clear?

>We are dabbling in theoretical territory,

Unlike some, I have no allergy to "theoretical territory". Indeed, it's
a pre-requisite to science.

>do you have a page that has
>been marked-up somewhere and that page is being misinterpreted by
>aggregators and parsers? if so please let us know so we can help
>diagnose the problem.

I am not planning on using rel-tag (especially not in hCard and
hCalendar) until this and some of the other issues with it have been
resolved. I suspect I'm not alone in that.

I also can't lay an egg, but I can tell when one has gone off ;-)

--
Andy Mabbett
            *  Say "NO!" to compulsory ID Cards:  <http://www.no2id.net/>