[uf-discuss] More censorship on the 'wiki'

Tantek Ç elik tantek at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 3 15:11:35 PST 2007

On 1/3/07 3:02 PM, "Andy Mabbett" <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> In message
> <8ad71be30701031449y3bdb963dm4148bcc9bf4e0da3 at mail.gmail.com>, Benjamin
> West <bewest at gmail.com> writes
>
>> Off topic rants don't belong on the wiki.  It's not helpful.
>
> I agree, but since my comments were neither off-topic nor ranting,
> that's a straw man which we can dispense with.

I agree with Ben that your comments were both off-topic and ranting.   Your
response to Ben is simple contradiction of his statement, and does not
provide any new relevant information and is therefore a waste of time.  If
you wish to argue something, present new information, not just
contradiction.

>> Furthermore, questions without answers don't belong on -faq pages.
>
> That's an interesting, but far from irrefutable, opinion.

It is not just an opinion, it is existing practice in the community.

> Since I was
> requesting answers to them, it's also bordering on being another straw
> man.

Open questions are open issues until they are answered, then depending on
whether they are worthy enough to be considered "frequent", their answers
may be moved to an FAQ.

>>  An
>> unresolved question is called an issue, and belongs on the -issues
>
> I'm quite confident that both of the *questions* I asked are resolved; I
> simply don't know the answers to them.

If you don't know the answers to them, then from your perspective they are
issues.  Leave the moving to the FAQ to the editors of the respective spec.

> The censored comment

Please stop making false claims.  Nothing is censored in a wiki where edit
histories are public.

Thanks,

Tantek