[uf-discuss] rel="tag"

Ciaran McNulty mail at ciaranmcnulty.com
Thu Jan 4 02:11:00 PST 2007

On 1/3/07, Nick Peters <strategicpause at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seeing the tag implementation on Operator has made me question the
> existing tagging standard.  With wordpress you may get something like
> "?cat=13" for a tag or something that may not even be the intended tag
> at all.

Agreed, the default behaviour is very clear and easy to understand,
but I'd quite like to see some sort of escaping mechanism for
overriding the tag value.

Maybe <a href="http://example.com/?tag=foo" title="foo">Foo</a>?

It could bear looking at but I'd want to check through the mailing
list archives to see what has previously been discussed.

> I still don't
> see why the standard extracts the tag from the last part of the URL
> instead of the information inside the anchor tag.  When I see a tag
> and click on it, I expect the visible content, not what's appended to
> the end of a URL.  Anyone care to shed some light on this for me?

The main reason that I can see is to allow normalisation of tags
across different pages.  One might have <a
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28soccer%29">Soccer</a>
and the other <a
href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_%28soccer%29">Football</a>,
for instance.